Who says you have to turn on the oven to make cupcakes? These Pirate Cupcakes made with Cocoa Krispies are an easy no-bake treat that’s full of chocolate flavor…and fun!
Cocoa Krispies Pirate Cupcakes
These “no-bake cupcakes” are a great food activity for a kids’ party. Just prepare the cocao crispy “cupcakes” in advance and set out all the decorating materials on a party table.
My daughter and I prepped these together for a low-key Pirates of the Caribbean movie night and had enough left over the next day for a fun play date treat. They’d be great for Halloween or a Pirate birthday party – whether you prepare in advance or let the kids decorate at the party.
I love the contrast between the soft, sweet buttercream frosting and the crunchy chocolate crispy cupcake. Kids love those cute chocolate rocks and chocolate coins and they make a great edible table scatter for a party.
For another delicious pirate party snack, check out our easy Pirate Flag Sugar Cookies.
Pirate Cupcakes Decorations
Feel free to use our suggested pirate cupcake decorations below, or customize with your own ideas!
How to Make Pirate Cupcakes with Cocoa Krispies
Keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions. A free printable copy of our no-bake pirate cupcakes recipe is available at the end of the post.
Spray cupcake pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
Place marshmallows and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments. Stir well in between each heating until melted.
Pour in the cereal and mix until combined
Once, mixed scoop the rice krispy mix into the sprayed cupcake pans, press down on the top.
Set aside to cool as you prepare the frosting.
TIP: The cupcakes need cool and set completely before decorating, so give yourself an hour to make this recipe. If preferred, you can make the marshmallow treats the night before.
For the frosting, in a standing mixer, combine all ingredients except the food coloring.
If the frosting is still soft and doesn’t create stiff peaks, add in 1/4 C of powder sugar until you achieve a consistency you like.
Add the food coloring to your desired pigment.
Scoop the frosting into the piping bag and pipe onto the top of the cocoa cupcakes with a firm flick of the wrist to create a “leaf” effect.
Cut about 4-6 inches of the edible grass and then stick into the frosting, add the pirate flag and decorate as desired with the rock candy’s, gold gum and pearls.
Pin our easy no bake pirate cupcakes on Pinterest:
Grab your free printable copy of our easy no-bake Pirate Cupcakes recipe:
Cocoa Krispies Treats ingredients:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 1 bag of edible grass (found at walmart in the easter section also can be ordered online)
- 1 small bag of edible pearls
- 1 small bag of gold rock gum
- 1/2 pound of chocolate rock candy
- 2-4 sticks of clear rock candy
- 1 package of pirate flags
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter
- 2 1/2 cups powder sugar
- 4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 drops of green food coloring
- Coat muffin tin with non-stick baking spray.
- Add marshmallows and butter to a large microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring well in between, until melted.
- Add cereal to melted marshmallows and stir to mix.
- Scoop the Cocoa Krispies mixture into your cupcake pans, pressing down on the top to even the surface.
- Allow to cool while you prepare the frosting.
For the frosting:
- Mix all frosting ingredients (except green coloring) using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer.
- If needed, add an extra 1/4 cup of powdered sugar to get a thicker frosting that will hold its shape.
- Mix in food coloring, a few drops at a time, until frosting is bright green.
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag and pipe onto the top of the cocoa cupcakes with a firm flick of the wrist to create a "leaf" effect.
- Decorate with edible grass, pirate flags, and rock candy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 1gSugar: 69gProtein: 3g
Do you know a little pirate who would love to make these no-bake cupcakes with you? What other themed desserts would you like to see us make?