XOXO Valentine Cupcakes
These XOXO Valentine Cupcakes are just gorgeous! They’re perfect for a kids Valentine’s Day party or a grown-up soirée too!
X’s and O’s Valentine’s Day Cupcakes
I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned it before, but Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays! I’ve loved it since I was a kid and my dad would bring us each a box of chocolates when he came home from work.
Now that I have a family of my own, we have our own special traditions. My girls and I celebrate the occasion by creating lots of fun Valentine’s Day crafts and Valentine’s Day recipes.
Each year we think of new ideas and have a blast making them in the days and weeks leading up to the big day.
These Valentine’s Day cupcakes turned out beautifully, and they are easy enough for kids to help prepare.
We’ve included a from-scratch cupcake recipe in this post, but you can totally use a box mix shortcut!
The chocolate letter molds that we used for our Valentine Cupcakes can be reused for all sorts of other recipes too! Use the letter molds for Back to School Cupcakes or use them to spell out a name!
Happy Valentine’s Day and happy baking!
Related: For a no-bake Valentine’s Day treat, try our Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Hearts!
Kitchen Supplies Needed:
- Light pink candy melts
- Bright pink candy melts
- Small hearts silicone chocolate mold
- Capital letters silicone chocolate mold
- Muffin tin
- Valentine’s cupcake liners
- Plastic decorating bags
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Egg whites
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla frosting
The above is a quick guide of what we used to make this recipe. A free printable copy of our XOXO Valentine’s Day Cupcakes recipe with full ingredient amounts is available at the bottom of the post.
XOXO Valentine Cupcakes Recipe
Keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions and prep tips. A free printable copy of the the full ingredients list and recipe follows.
To save time, we made our chocolate pieces while the cupcakes baked. There is a from-scratch cupcake recipe at the bottom of the post, but you can use a box mix too!
Our cupcake recipe makes about 12-14 Valentine’s Cupcakes.
If you prefer chocolate, try our Thin Mint Cupcakes recipe – they’re delicious!
TIP: Placing your chocolates in the fridge will speed up the setting process.
Feel free to use your favorite white frosting recipe or store-bought for the cupcakes. A frosting decorating bag allows you to make pretty swirls:
When your chocolates are solid, you can place one in the center of each cupcake. I found similar molds on Amazon:
You could also check your local craft stores for the molds.
Be sure to pin our Valentine’s Day Cupcakes on Pinterest:
Grab a free printable copy of our XOXO Valentine Cupcakes recipe:
If you like this recipe rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below.
XOXO Valentine Cupcakes
Cute cupcakes with chocolate hearts, X's and O's just perfect for a Valentine's Day party!
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vanilla frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter, egg whites, sugar, sour cream, milk and vanilla extract with an electric mixer.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Prepare a 12 count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Fill each muffin liner about 1/2 way with cupcake batter.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick around 18 minutes, if it comes out clean the cupcakes are done.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling pour each of the Wilton candy melt colors into separate microwave safe bowls.
- Place each bowl in the microwave one at a time - heating in 30 second increments, stirring occasionally until melted. Use caution when removing from microwave as bowls may become hot.
- Scoop each color of the melted chocolate into its own plastic decorating bag, cutting a small hole in the tip of the bag.
- Gently squeeze the melted chocolate from each bag into your silicone mold, filling the X's, O's and Hearts.*
- Allow the chocolate to set in mold until it hardens. To speed up the setting process you can place the molds in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Repeat this step for as many chocolates as you need.
- Generously frost each cupcake with vanilla frosting.
- Carefully pop the chocolate hearts and letters out of the silicone molds and place one on top of each cupcake.
More Valentine’s Day Recipes for Kids
Be sure to check out ALL of our Valentine’s Day Cupcakes and our collection of Valentine’s Day Kids Treats!