These cake mix sugar cookies are just 4 ingredients and are the perfect sugar cookie, with crispy edges and a soft, chewy center.
Cake Mix Sugar Cookie Recipe
These easy sugar cookies are made with a box of cake mix and a few simple ingredients. They’re perfect for a quick and easy dessert or a holiday party and you can enjoy them plain or decorate with your favorite toppings.
If you love soft and chewy sugar cookies, then this is a must-try recipe! You won’t believe how easy it is to make classic sugar cookies with this box cake shortcut…and they taste just like real sugar cookies made from scratch!
This is a fantastic beginner baking recipe to make with the kids!
- French Vanilla Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- White Sugar
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: add in whatever mix-ins you’d like for extra flavor or texture – chocolate chips, nuts, sprinkles, etc.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Electric Mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Cookie Sheet <– you will want two so you can bake one tray while the other is cooling
- Parchment paper or Silicone Baking Mats
- Cookie scoop
Instructions – How to Make Sugar Cookies with Cake Mix
This is a very easy recipe to prepare – just mix, chill, scoop, and bake! Note that there is an hour of time needed to chill the dough, so the cookies will have the right consistency while baking.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, oil, and sugar with an electric mixer until well combined, light, and creamy. (About 2 minutes)
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion out the chilled dough onto your prepared cookie sheets, about 3″ apart.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, until the cookies spread and are slightly puffed up and cracked on top.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Dough – Be sure to leave at least 3 inches of space between each cookie, as they will spread out a bit during baking. Chilling the dough beforehand helps to keep them from spreading out too much, so don’t skip this step!
- Cooking Time – You don’t want to over-bake sugar cookies, or they will lose their signature chewy texture and soft center. When you remove the cookies from the oven, they will still be pale in color, with just a hint of golden brown at the edges. You don’t want the entire cookie to be golden brown, as this will make them be too hard.
- Decorate – These cookies are a treat all on their own, but feel free to get creative and add your favorite cookie toppings, such as icing and sprinkles. These are a wonderful recipe to customize for different holidays and occasions!
- Flavors – This method of make sugar cookies with cake mix can be used for any flavor of cake mix you desire!
More Cake Mix Cookie Recipes To Try:
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- 4th of July Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Oreo Stuffed Cookies
- Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- granulated sugar, as needed
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, oil and sugar for 2 minutes until light and creamy.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line two baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the chilled dough onto your prepared cookie sheets, at least 3" apart.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, until the cookies are spread, cracked on top and slightly puffed up. They will still be quite pale - you don't want a golden color.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
Pin this cake mix sugar cookie recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: